Wednesday 4 July 2012

Lord's Cricket

When I was given the opportunity to watch the cricket at Lord's I was very excited! I had never attended a cricket match and I had little knowledge of the sport. But this was all about to change...

A few weeks ago, my work department and I made the trip to Lord's Cricket ground in North West London. Only 10 minutes walk from our office, it was a very convenient location for us. (Although this did not allow for an early finish!)

I do not want to stereotype, but like most girls I didn't have a clue about the sport. So here is a quick breakdown for those a little rusty on the game:

  •  Two teams of 11 players
  • One team bats, with the aim to score as many runs as possible
  • The other team bowls and fields, trying to bowl and catch the batsmen out
  •  A run is scored by the batsman hitting the ball and reaching the other side of the pitch without being dismissed
  • Test cricket is played over 5 days
  • Twenty20 is played over 20 overs - one over being 6 bowling deliveries. This is what I watched at Lord's - Essex vs Middlesex.
Simples!

To be honest, there isn't much more you need to know. The cricket is a very social occasion, especially as it's BYO...

Wave your flag at the end of the innings! Make sure your score card is the right way up! And you're laughing!




Another activity ticked off the London List.

No comments:

Post a Comment