Monday 12 November 2012

A rainy day at Greenwich Market

Last weekend, a few of my girlfriends and I set out on a day trip to Greenwich Market (DLR). We experienced a rather rainy walk over Blackheath and through Greenwich Park, but the leafy view of Canary Wharf made up for the wet feet.

Luckily Greenwich Market is covered, so the weather didn't get in the way of us wondering around the market stalls. However, a winter warmer was necessary. We came across a popular stall serving spiced apple with brandy and mulled wine; just what we needed. There are a couple of permanent watering holes with seating areas, but these pubs charge higher prices than the rest of the stalls.

I managed to grab some Thai food for a fiver and the ladyboy who served me managed to cram a foil tray with a mixture of Pad Thai and Chilli Beef.

The variety of food at this market was impressive. It took us all a while to decide what we fancied for lunch. Stalls ranged from homemade sushiCaribbean influenced dishes, Thai, Moroccan, as well as huge pans of paella. I don't think there was a stall missing!



We managed to pick up a few things from the bakery and cakes stands too. Some incredible salted caramel brownies, millionaire shortbread, cupcakes and the list goes on.

Aside from the food and drink stalls, that we spent most of our time around, we also came across a physic...Yes, tarot card readings and all that jazz! Some believe it, some think its codswallop. However, I have never had much of a judgement. So why not try out? The psychic, an old pensive lady dressed in non-gypsy clothes (as I was expecting, with a crystal ball) began with my tarot card reading.

She nailed it on the head with this one. I am a very sociable person who likes to celebrate...ALOT! Indeed, I can never say no to a party. The middle card, 'ten of cups', is my future card. In two years time I am to experience true happiness, love and emotional fulfilment. I am to be in an idyllic state of peace and harmony and will be delighting in my good fortune (Fingers crossed!).

She then moved on to assess my astrology. This was a little less positive. I am apparently too forgiving in my relationships. I was told to be careful in the future and to research who I forge romantic relationships with. She threatened, that if I did not, I would end up with an alcoholic or drug addict!!!! Not quite the Romeo I am looking for.

Finally, the palm reading. I don't remember too much of this, I was still in shock that my future hubby could end up being Pete Doherty or someone even worse, if that is at all possible. Despite this, I do remember that I have a strong life line, I will live abroad and I will either run my own company or reach the top of a corporation. So it wasn't all negative. £5 for about a 10 minute session wasn't bad. I still haven't made my mind up about what I believe.

Overall: In comparison to other great markets in London, Greenwich market is relatively small. A variety of stalls offer high quality products and as bonus there is a roof to keep you dry. The food stalls were a highlight for me, so if you are knocking around South East London next weekend, I encourage you to dip into Greenwich Market for a cheap yet delicious lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment