Wednesday 12 June 2013

Friday Fish and Chips @ Poppies

I think it's fair to say that everyone in Britain loves fish and chips. Traditionally eaten on Fridays and regularly consumed across the country. You just can't beat this yummy fried food!

However, this time I swapped my usual evening beach walk along Bournemouth's promenade, with fish and chips in hand, for a slightly different experience at Poppies in Shoreditch, London.


Located on the corner of Hanbury Street and Commercial Street, this restaurant is always packed! No surprise from the number of its loyal customers.

The thing that sets this 'chippy' apart from the local on your high street is it's1940/50s theme. Old records on the wall, an old fashioned jukebox and, to top it all, the waitresses in bright sailor-style dresses. A great, traditional atmosphere - even the wall frieze was made up of Cockney rhyming slang!


So, let's get down to the food.... Similar to the majority of chippies dotted around the UK, Poppies serves up all the usual dishes: fish, chips, pies, battered sausages not forgetting the cider to wash it all down with. Premium priced compared to your local chippy (outside of London!), I hoped this London-famous restaurant and take-away would live up to my expectations.
 


Wondering what this is a picture of? Go on have a guess....

What you are looking at people is Jellied Eels. You are probably making a very similar sound to my reaction...URGH! My Dad insisted on ordering these and making me try some. If you have a strong stomach or a really adventurous appetite then give it a go. The eel really wasn't that bad, it was the jelly on top that put me right off the dish. However, this must be popular or it wouldn't be on the menu!!

Luckily my main was on its way....


Having read a couple of reviews before booking our table, many customers suggested opting for a large portion of fish and chips. Take note, however, that the above is a regular size so make sure you're hungry before ordering the large! I chose the haddock, as cod doesn't really do it for me. As for the chips, I can definitely say that these were the best thick cut chips I've ever eaten. They weren't greasy at all and not too many of those teeny, crispy ones so you feel like you are getting your money's worth.
 

Watch out for the side orders, the salads are generous! I personally wasn't sold on the mushy peas my Dad ordered, but luckily we were sharing amongst three so at least there was no waste.

If you fancy eating in at Poppies, I would advise you to book a table, particularly at weekends. The service was swift. Otherwise I am sure the take-away tastes just as good!

Website: http://poppiesfishandchips.co.uk/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/popsfishnchips
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PoppiesFishandChips?ref=ts&fref=ts



 

No comments:

Post a Comment